תערוכת רפואה

TEVA of Jerusalem

Writen by: Community Writers
|
14/12/2017
120

The Old and New Yishuv in the Development of Pharmacies and Pharmaceutical Manufacturing in 20th Century Jerusalem

In the 20th century, towards the end of Ottoman rule and during the British Mandate and Israel’s statehood, traditional medicine continued to be practiced alongside modern medicine, and pharmaceutical manufacturing developed from Jerusalem’s pharmacies and shops. The story of the pharmaceutical company ‘TEVA’ is linked to the old and new Yishuv (communities) in Jerusalem.

Medicine bottle, Medicine bottle from the Solomon, Levin, Elstein Company

Medicine bottle, Medicine bottle from the Solomon, Levin, Elstein Company

Using money inherited from his parents and from an uncle who died during the 1865 cholera epidemic, Yoel Moshe Salomon built his home in the ‘Nahalat Shiva’ neighborhood, outside the walls, and later moved to Petah Tikva (the _rst Jewish colony). The strong impression made by the epidemic on his son, Haim Solomon, in_uenced the latter to establish a pharmaceutical business in Jerusalem, together with his brothers-in-law, Moshe (Gutel) Levin and Yitzhak Asher Elstein. The company imported drugs from Europe and distributed them among hospitals in Jerusalem and the pharmacies in the Jewish settlements.

Package of Hystobis pills, Package of Hystobis pills, Teva, Jerusalem

Package of Hystobis pills, Package of Hystobis pills, Teva, Jerusalem

Branches were opened in Ja_a and Haifa under the company name of SALA (initials of Salomon, Levin, Elstein). The rise of the Nazi Party to power in Germany precipitated the immigration of pharmacists and scientists to Palestine. In 1934, SALA established the Assia company in Petah Tikva, which later merged with the pharmaceutical company Tzori. In 1935, the pharmacist, Dr. Günter Friedlander, founded the company ‘TEVA’ (Nature) in the Bayit VeGan neighborhood in Jerusalem; the name originated from Friedlander’s vision to produce medicines from medicinal herbs and minerals found around Jerusalem. In 1976, Assia-Tzori merged with TEVA Jerusalem and the company developed into today’s international conglomerate of TEVA Pharmaceutical Industries.

You might be interested:

Leave a Reply

You have somthing to say?

*